Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

DIY cleaning and misc.

For the past year, I've gotten more and more interested in do-it-yourself projects and recipes.  Below are a few of my favorites that I'd like to share.....

Tip #1:  Rub half of a lemon on stainless steel faucet and shower fixtures to remove hard water stains.  Simple as that, and no harsh chemicals!

Mom and I recently discovered E Cloths, which are available at Hallmark, Walmart and Amazon, to name a few.  These cloths can be used on almost any surface and only require water.  Widely used in Europe, the cloths are woven in such a way that they remove over 99% of bacteria.  So far, we've used ours on counters, our stove top, mirrors and more, and for the most part they work wonderfully!!  I wasn't entirely happy about the stove, as it didn't remove tough buildup entirely.  But all in all, E Cloths have been a unique and money-saving alternative to cleaning for us!

Tip #2:  Here's a cheap, long-lasting alternative to dryer sheets--wad up a couple sheets of aluminum foil to make a small ball.  Toss in the dryer with your sheets and towels and voila!  No static.  The ball with smooth with all the tumbling, and you can use it for months.  NOW, I wouldn't necessarily recommend using it with clothes, as it didn't really work with ours.  But if you want, you can try and see if your clothes are more well-behaved than ours. :)

Tip #3:  Borax and water cleans bathroom sinks beautifully.  Done.

You know when you've got an empty jar on your hands and you think, "I could use that jar hold those _____"?  Then you wash it up all clean and nice and peel off that label.  Which, of course, leaves a patch of sticky, icky gunk.  Here's the trick to removing that stuff in just a few minutes.....and using a couple items from your pantry!  Make your own Goo-Gone:  Mix amounts of baking soda and canola oil together until you make a nice paste.  Use as you would normal Goo-Gone.  Apply to whatever goop you want to remove from a surface and start rubbing.  Once surface is un-gooped, clean up with a paper towel.  No big deal!

I hope you get a chance to try these......and that you love them as much as I do!

4 comments:

  1. I love the E-cloths! Have you tried the window cloth? It works SUPER well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That one works really well on windows and mirrors....I almost enjoy cleaning windows now!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing those tips! I'm going to try it out sometime! I love DIY projects also:)

    ReplyDelete